The latest episode of Thrive’s Connected podcast focuses on how educators can create and maintain good relationships with parents and carers. In the podcast, Rose Webb, Thrive’s Policy, Practice and Innovation lead, explains the benefits that a trusting and open relationship between home and school can bring for staff, parents and carers and, of course, for children and young people.
“Children and young people transition between home and school and there are lots of experiences that happen in between. If there is a supportive relationship between home and school it means that children understand that they are connected and it helps them to have a sense of the network of support and care that is around them,” said Rose.
Listen to the 12-minute podcast to discover:
- How good relationships between home and school can help create a preventative approach to mental health problems, with parents and carers more likely to be pro-active about communicating potential problems
- What a trusting and open relationship with families and carers looks like in practice.
- Why parents may struggle to engage with school because of their own past experiences – and how to respond if this is the case
- How Family Thrive sessions can foster good relationships
- How positive relationships can be developed and maintained in the smallest details such as the language used on a school’s website
As well as offering practical suggestions about how to create and develop positive relationships, Rose also gives tips on how to respond if there is a breakdown in the relationship with parents and carers. She uses real-world examples from her own classroom experience to illustrate the power of relationships to change things and she explains why a trusting and open relationship between school and home can help if children are struggling with things like anxiety or emotional based school avoidance (EBSA).
Listen to the podcast here
Over to you
The next course leader for Family Thrive course starts on October 5. To find out more about whether the course would be a good fit for you, click here to schedule a Discovery Call with your regional expert. Designed to fit in around your schedule, these free 30-minute conversations via Teams give you a chance to have your questions answered.